It’s easy to examine your life and have a sense of dissatisfaction as to how you are progressing towards your short- and long-term goals. This dissatisfaction can lead you to doubt.
I have been there a few times. It’s so easy to:
- doubt your ability to reach your goals
- doubt the viability of your goals
- doubt your purpose in life
“Most of us never stop to consider our blessings; rather, we spend the day only thinking about our problems. But since you have to be alive to have problems, be grateful for the opportunity to have them.” – Bernie Siegel
Showing gratitude is something we all can do. Now you may be wondering what is there to be grateful for? Let me help you out here:
- Be grateful that you are alive. If you are reading this piece, you can be 100% sure that you are alive.
- Be grateful for your state of health. Yes, I know that you may not be 100% healthy but you can be grateful for whatever part of you that is still functioning.
- Be grateful for the progress you have made towards achieving your long-term goals. I am assuming that you have made some progress. You are just not where you expect yourself to be. However, you can be thankful for the little progress you have made.
- Be grateful that you can set goals. This means that you can take your eyes off your immediate needs and look into the future. This means that you have hope of being alive to achieve that goal. That’s something to be grateful for.
- Be grateful for the emotions you have. That you can laugh, that you can cry, and that you can feel a sense of dissatisfaction. Our emotions are a good thing. They keep us safe.
Now that you have found some emotional strength, it’s time to re-focus your energy, re-evaluate your plan, and then re-commit to making progress in your life.
It’s time to draw on the optimistic energy that comes with the ray of hope. Remember that preparation and a balanced perception will give you the confidence you need to enjoy your life’s journey. Someone once said: “I’m not destination-happy; I’m journey-happy.” Indeed, true happiness is enjoying the journey.
Doubt is not a good place to be because it will drain you of the emotional energy you need to succeed. Why not harness your power of focus, and:
-believe in yourself
-believe in your ability to achieve your goals
-restart your journey and enjoy the trip!
What have you got to be grateful for?